Grit Harbour Presents The Best Recording I’ve Heard This Year So Far

Through this year I have listened to a lot of music. You can check my last.fm link to see just how many different albums, songs and records I’ve listened to, and amidst all of that noise, I’m always surprised with the next big thing. As such, Grit Harbour gets my “best of” vote today, and for 2014 so far. Their recordings that I heard today are impeccable, timed well, and pushed with a certain design that I can’t really describe in a simple sentence.

As a teenager, I bought every record from Jade Tree and Deep Elm, I listened to everything. I had the whole Tooth and Nail Records catalog, and this band’s latest record fits within that world. You are going to find that this is the kind of independent release that speaks volumes to the genre of alternative, indie, and even pop at times. The first thing you hear, “On A Quiet Roof” is evidence enough to get you thinking about better days. For me it took me back to my years in Seattle, where I seemed to have a semblance of happiness, before my divorce, before my depression caught me with a cup of coffee and a pack of cigarettes in Los Angeles. It’s this kind of poetic fusion of musical instruments, lyrics, and soul that you have to listen to, it’s powerful.

There’s a balance that is struggling to become isolated, a chaos that is controlled through the 11 tracks that come through on Grit Harbour’s soundcloud site. It’s this type of musical integrity that I wish I could sign to my record label from the past. If I had a record label today, I’d pick up these guys and put out their next record, and send them on tour. They mix genres, they know how to create a lavish independent rock sound, and they do so with so many different layers of noise. The chaos can be a bit overwhelming, and that’s the independent side of recording and mastering, but that doesn’t matter, there’s so much going on here.

I can truly say that this is the best music I’ve heard in a long time. I love it. I like the discord, I like the simplicity at times, I like the rock guitars at times, the acoustic elements, the percussion, and the way things flow naturally. Nothing feels forced to me. I like this, and you will like it too, or so I hope.

Check out Grit Harbour’s facebook page here, or soundcloud here and listen to 11 tracks of eclectic alternative rock and roll music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2KX Create A Lavish Musical Framework Beyond Comparison

In Isolation Paints An Incredible Post Punk Portrait with Tears

Hollywood Drunks Smash Through Genres With Precision on Swell